Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Modelling Permeability 

Post Modelling Permeability
Simple question, but I'm getting two different answers from Petrel users in my office:

I've generated a non-linear PORE-PERM function to use to distribute permeability. The equation provided is as follows:

log(y) = -3.82401 + 44.0022 * pow(x,1) - 87.2269 * pow(x,2)
where
y = permeability
x = porosity

Can I simply use the equation as shown directly to calculate Ppermeability or do I need to solve the equation for y? i.e. solve log(y) where y is PERM. If the answer is yes, can someone please help me!

Thankyou!

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Post Re: Modelling Permeability
Just an update from my post yesterday - I decided to take the data out of Petrel and generate a non-linear regression function directly for y (PERM) in Excel, which has worked nicely. Sometimes it is better to go back to basics!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:03 pm