Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Sweetness!? 

Post Sweetness!?
Not really a problem I'm encountering but rather an inquisitive remark. Has anybody been using the Seismic Attribute "Sweetness" in their reservoir characterisation. I usually use it for identifying channels and other facies, but have never been able to translate it's values to usefull lithological properties. I know it's a quantitatively meaningless attribute as it calculated by dividing the Envelope (reflection strength) by the square root of instantaneous frequency (Hertz).

Any ideas on this?

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Post Re: Sweetness!?
I haven´t used it but as I think is the case with all seismic attributes you need to couple them to your well logs and maybe cross-plot them with your petrophysical data to identify their correlation.
Then you might be able to use neural nets to use your seismic attribute info to model/interpolate petrophysical data away from your wells.

any help??

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:05 pm

can somebody explain the details of this 'Sweetness' attribute??

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Basically sweetness is a relatively new (first described by Radovich and Oliveros, 1998) attribute used in 3D seismic interpretation and visualisation is appropriately named ‘Sweetness’. This is due to its strong ability to visualize subtle channels and their internal structure in deep-water clastic and coastal plain settings.

As DKarlstadt points out it's meaning or quantative use is a difficult concept. But, it may be used in a semi-quantitative way to predict net-to-gross ratios in channel systems (Hart, 2008; two follow-up articles available). However, its units are difficult to understand and better thought of as relative values. This is due to Sweetness being calculated from the Instantaneous Amplitude divided by the square root of Instantaneous Frequency. This mathematical definition combines attribute relationships that are very useful for identification of isolated sand bodies in shale successions as they generate stronger broader reflectors than the surrounding shales. When seismic quality is bad, acoustic impedence contrasts between sands and shales are low or when they are highly interbedded the effectiveness of Sweetness diminishes.

that's my understanding of sweetness....

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi everyone

I am doing my final MS research on attribute analysis. I am completely lost in this "Sweetness" attribute :( I will be much obliged if any one can guide me with it. when sweetness appears high on the limestone??? though it has high amplitude and high frequency

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:24 am

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO