Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Methane release and global warming. 

Post Methane release and global warming.
I realize this may not be the best forum to discuss the effects of global warming as most of you are concerned with extracting more CO2 from the earth, but this is an active forum with a lot of experts so I will probably get a good answer. I understand how CO2 can raise Earths temperature, but how does Methane fit in. I've heard that release of Methane is a bigger hazard than most CO2 release and that it can be triggered by higher temperature...

How does this work and what are some reasonable predictions into the effects?

thanks!

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Post Re: Methane release and global warming.
Lucio (is that your name?),

Welcome to the Forums!

To answer your question: The greenhouse gas methane is only a trace element in the atmosphere, nowadays it is 1.75 ppmv and pre-industrial it was 0.7 ppmv, so already a raise of hundred percent. It’s Global warming Potential (GWP) is 20 to 30 times higher than CO2.

The largest amount of methane is captured in gas hydrates. These hydrates are molecules of gas trapped by water molecules. They crystallize into ice and form so called clathrates, so the gas molecules are caged by the water. In this structure the cages are arranged in body-centered packing; the unit cell contains 46 molecules of water and up to eight molecules of methane (CH4). Not all cages are occupied. If all cages would be occupied by methane, one cubic meter of solid hydrate could contain 170.7 m^3 of methane gas at sea level. In nature, one cubic meter of gas hydrate contains up to 164 m^3 of methane.

These clathrates are trapped mainly in the permafrost and ocean beds. Here the temperatures are low enough and the pressure is high enough, to keep the clathrates intact. So with a temperature rise the permafrost will melt releasing the Methane. In contrast, with a temperature drop the sea levels will drop and the methane will also be released from the ocean floor. Any mayor global temperature disturbance will probably cause Methane to be released.

Currently there is 3.5Gton C as Methane in the atmosphere, but a rapid release of methane (10 Gton) will kick the concentration to 6ppm. Methane only has a lifetime of 10 years after which it is converted to CO2, so probably with the release of 10 Gtons of methane the climate will change and temperatures will rise (how much, I do not know!). But only for a short time; or the release of methane has to stay constantly high. The CH4 is 20 to 30 times stronger than CO2 but with this short lifetime the effect will be mayor but probably of a short term.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO