[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4922: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4924: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4925: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4926: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
slightly odd obsidian find : General Geology & Rock Identification - Exploration & Production Geology

Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

slightly odd obsidian find 

Post slightly odd obsidian find
Hi,
I've found what i initially thought may have been a jet stream having "come" to the surface. After some research, it turns out to most likely be obsidian. There appears to also be pumice. Some of the pumice and obsidian are brown or have brown swirls/layers. There are also sections in the obsidian which give a rainbow hue in the light where there are fractures.
There are also quite a few parts of both which harbour a red dust.
It's been suggested that instead of obsidian, it may be slag from the romans or "vikings". Im not aware of any roman history in the area, and the saxons didnt have a settlement we know of at the site, but it was a settlement for vikings.

What strikes me as most peculiar, is that it was found down a lane to the beach, were the land is eroding, and there have been prehistoric finds, however, it looks to be sort of intermingled with patches of general hardcore, stone bricks and actual bricks. The lane seems to have been at some point surfaced, as there is also the odd patch of pebble adsorbed tar.
But there is a lot of "obsidian" here, some lumps as big as your head, and thats just what is visible from the surface.
Now what im wondering is, is there something else, with these surrounding facts, the obsidian may be? And if it is obsidian, what else interesting might i be able to find or should i look out for? Its a very sandy area, ive found a few lumps of rusted metal and rocks which appear to contain iron.
Does it sound like maybe an old smelting site?
Or is this some recent man made product/byproduct?
Thanks in advance

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Post Re: slightly odd obsidian find
Very interesting!

Do you have any pictures from the sample or area you found this?

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Post Re: slightly odd obsidian find
Ill take photos of the area when im next there. Here are some photos of the samples....
Actually, i cant seem to upload them here. Ill try a photobucket jobby. Bare with.....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/salviablue1/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/salvi ... %20Uploads

Furthermore, the more obsidian like pieces knap well and form razor sharp edges.

The first pic is of the iron lump. I think the next two are of the more pumice type, showing what i assume to be iron particulates, the third is a different type to the rest. The rest are of what i believe to be obsidian. The white bits are just artefacts of the camera flash/lighting conditions.

There is also coal to found from the site to the beach and all alongthat stretch...rumoured to be the odd piece of jet too, not that ive found any....yet....

Ive not found any documentation of glass or metal works in the immediate vicinity either....

Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:09 pm