[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4922: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4924: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4925: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4926: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
What do I have here? My dad thought it was a meteorite : General Geology & Rock Identification - Exploration & Production Geology

Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

What do I have here? My dad thought it was a meteorite 

Post What do I have here? My dad thought it was a meteorite
My dad says he found this in his front yard one day in a small crater. it doesn't appear to be magnetic, a magnet won't stick to it. Figured I'd see if there are some people out there who could help us identify it.

Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 83.21 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 83.79 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 86.78 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]
Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:35 pm

Post Re: What do I have here? My dad thought it was a meteorite
Nobody knows, eh?

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Post Re: What do I have here? My dad thought it was a meteorite
Since it is not magnetic and it has what appears to be oxidation, it is probably not a meteorite. Generally a meteorite will have smooth pitting as the outside of the material is ablated by the heat. You also will not have any oxidation, unless the sample has been sitting for a long time. It should be very smooth with no sharp edges, except where the pits terminate up against each other.

Honestly, it looks a bit like a hematite or limonite nodule, which could make sense if someone dug a hole (small crater...) and found the concretion. I am leaning toward hematite. You can see a short description here (if it doesn't let me link you can search google for meteorite identification hematite):

http://meteorite-identification.com/Hot ... atite.html

If you don't believe that is what you have, you can answer the questions below and we might be able to narrow it down a bit more.

First, how dense is it? A relative example of something about the same size would be fine, like density of a pool ball or about as heavy as 5lb sledge.

Next, what area was the sample found in? What is the soil / rock on the surface? Are major roads nearby? Do you have any other rock around? Has anyone done any landscaping recently?

Also, can you scratch it with a fingernail? A penny? Can you scratch glass with it?

After we know those things we can start to narrow it down a bit.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 pm