Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Rock Indentification 

Post Rock Indentification
New to the group and I've noticed there's not a lot of action, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

I've had this specific rock in my possession for probably over 40 years (I'm 50) and I've never had it identified.

I brought it to work to see if my amateur geologist friend could identify it, but he only has a couple theories. In fact he ground down and polished the bottom to reveal some interesting rings.

I thought I'd try posting it to a group like this to see if anyone else can grant me some clarity.

Since it's been many years since I found this particular rock, I have no idea where I might have picked it up. I'm fairly sure I did NOT buy it at a gift shop but rather found it on the ground. I'm guessing I may have found it in California, Utah, Nevada or possibly Colorado. I just don't recall. Either way it's a mystery.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

I have more detailed photos, but their file size is too large for this forum. I can email upon request.

Thank you for your time.

Please see attached photos.

Attachments:
Rock1.jpg [34.96 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Rock2.jpg [32.97 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 pm