Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Field determination of the dolomite % of chip samples 

Post Field determination of the dolomite % of chip samples
Does anyone have any tips on determining dolomite percentage in a well-site setting?

I was thinking that comparing the rate of effervescence in a 10% HCl in water solution could give some quantitative results. Maybe comparing the rate while changing parameters such as temperature of solution, strength of HCl solution or powdered vs solid sample. I could make a chart with the rate of known samples under these different conditions to compare to.

I haven't tried this yet but what do you think? Any tips or better ideas? Thanks!

To be clear I mean % dolomite in limestone/dolomite samples

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:07 am

Post Re: Field determination of the dolomite % of chip samples
Have you tried staining with Alizarin Red and estimating the % of rock that turns red? The dolomite won't stain. If there are other minerals in your sample they may or may not stain but this is pretty much the standard mud loggers test.

Page 37 of Well-Site Geologist's Handbook by Donald McPhater and Brian MacTiernan, published byPennWell Publishing Co of Tulsa Oklahoma 1983 has a table that lists the colors various carbonates stain using a solution of 0.2% HC, 0.2% Alizarin Red and 0.5% Sataurated Potassium Ferricyanide. But I just use a commercially available solution (concentration unknown - not on lable) of Alizarin Red and get pretty much the same results.

Roughly speaking the table is as follows:
RED - pure calcite
Mauve - Ferroan Calcite Fe oxidation state +2 poor
purple - Ferroan Calcite Fe oxidation state +2 rich
Light Blue - Ferroan Dolomite
Dark Blue - Ankerite

Unstained - pure dolomite

Good Luck!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO