Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Learning a Foreign Language 

Post Learning a Foreign Language
Hi all,

I was just wondering how many of you are actively in employment within the Oil and Gas industry and also speak a foreign language. How useful is a skill such as this in the industry? I am taking Arabic classes next year and have been actively engaging in self study to try and pick it up to a decent level.

Thanks.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Post Re: Learning a Foreign Language
I think most professionals have English as their second language. It's by far the most used language in the oil and gas industry. Spanish would probably be a good second, but for some regions like the Arabic nations, China or maybe Russia, speaking the language can be very beneficial. I notice that most local hires (which are often in the majority due to political reasons) will often fall back to their mother tongue during general office chitchat. Being able to pick this up and participate can be very useful in both a social and business perspective. If you pick up languages quickly than I would definitely go for it. Most peoples problem is that they are moved around the globe frequently and find it hard to pick up a language; most of us are in the end Beta's.

Fri May 06, 2011 6:26 pm