Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Can't decide on which step to take within a geology field. 

Post Can't decide on which step to take within a geology field.
Currently I am getting my BS. in Geology, Highly concentrated within Petro Geology. I am undecided on what sort of specialization I would like to concentrate on. Right now, I am interested in Geochemistry, Geophysics, and Petrologist. I've personally met and conversed with an geophysics. It is an interesting area being able to use your imagination to analyze and interpret the map/logs. From the looks of what the geophysics i spoke with, it seems as if it there is a lot of office work and staring at a map, visualizing, what is on the surface of the water below. I dont know how I feel about that.

Also, I' spoken to a petrologist. From my understanding, they get the rock particles and analyzes the tiny particles pores in the rock through a microscope and determine what sort of specific particle is in the rock. Sounds like a lot fun and not repetitive which is a pro for me.

Geochemistry, never spoken to a geo-chemist. I have a slight idea on what they do. Understanding the characteristic and compounds of the rock. Knowing what is inside of rock, correct me if I'm wrong.

Conclusion, I'm indecisive. Ha! I would really appreciate if I can get some professional opinions/inputs on these specialization.

Thanks,

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:56 am