Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Side wall cores or full coring? 

Post Side wall cores or full coring?
Hi everybody!

I'm new here!

The question is: How can I weigh the importance to run conventional coring vs sidewall coring. OBM and WBM.
I repute that the SWC in OBM is still a good choice and surely less expensive buit of course we need to see also the total section and laminations. What are your thought on weighting this decision?

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:44 am

Post Re: Side wall cores or full coring?
I always go for conventional coring, as such a core will benefit all disciplines and will give you the opportunity to run the required tests and get a full section preserved for future use, while SWC is not always successful, and mostly gives small plugs and is not suitable for SCAL tests. If no conventional core is possible then SWC might give an idea of the reservoir properties, but cores are very useful and, I feel, often neglected.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:05 am

I second this!

Conventional core is always the best choice for data acquisition (given that you have made strong justification to spend certain amount of money; eg. proven reservoir and reserves or decent prospect). SWC may or may not be successful during their coring (tool problem, retrieval problem, etc), and it's usefulness for tests is limited (eg porosity and perm values could be distorted due to the cores usually representing only a small (random) part of the succession). However SWC is cheaper, and does have one BIG plus point - you're able to easily take sample points throughout your hole (if you require).

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:05 pm

You are both right but I advise you use rotary sidewall coring you can avoid the distortions and other negative effects. Of course this all depends on the strength of your rock, economics and technical feasibility. Certainly a conventional coring must be justified by a large set of data (that can be correlated to) and the need for detailed stratigraphic and petrophysical studies.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO