Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Barringer Airtrace and Laser Fluorosensor 

Post Barringer Airtrace and Laser Fluorosensor
I am writing the history of Barringer Research from 1970 to about 1985 and am looking for any material on these 2 methods related to oil and gas exploration: articles, pictures, anecdotes, data, etc.
Peter Bradshaw

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Post Re: Barringer Airtrace and Laser Fluorosensor
Peter,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry that I can;t help you, as I've never heard of the Barringer Airtrace. Can you enlighten me?

thanks

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 pm

AIRTRACE was developed to detect the aerosol phenomenon at high sensitivity. The equipment was operated in a low flying, twin-engine, STOL aircraft with a nose-mounted collection system capable of concentrating the atmospheric aerosol content by more than one million times. Hydrocarbons were desorbed and analyzed from this aerosol on a continuous stream basis and the concentrations were recorded digitally forty times per second. Simultaneous recordings are made of position using Loran C and GPS systems as well as measurements of humidity, air temperature, sea surface temperature, air speed and turbulence, sea surface optical characteristics, terrain clearance and magnetic field strength.

The LASER FLUORSENSOR used short high intensity UV pulse to detect at high sensitivity fluorescence in oil coated aerosols, surface slicks and water column dispersions of oil from oil spills. A high speed electronic switching technique was employed to separately discriminate for water and aerosol effects. This system was used by BHP who then developed their own system called the ALF (airborne laser fluorsensor) which I understand was fairly similar and is now offered under contract by Fugro

Any information on the history of either system in the 70's and 80' very gratefully received

Peter

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Peter,

Thank you for this info. I was aware of some of these techniques I now find out, but did not know the official name for them...

Hope somebody can help you with finding information!

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO