Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Applied Geosciences Thesis 

Post Applied Geosciences Thesis
Hello,
I am currently a student at the University of Pennsylvania getting my Masters in Applied Geosciences. I am looking for topics for my thesis and I wanted to do something in the Petroleum Geology field. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas or topics just to get the ball rolling.
It would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Post Re: Applied Geosciences Thesis
Pfew, that's a difficult question. I think it depends on what you find interesting whithin geosciences; there are so many fields. Can you elaborate a little on your interests and previous experience/courses?

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I have taken many geology courses, Facies Models, Structural Geology, Minerology, Engineering Geology, a GIS course, Groundwater hydrology, just to mention a few. I am very interested in the energy field, so I was hopping I could do something related to it, that would be relevant to the fact that im a geologist.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Assuming that with energy field you mean the oil and gas industry then I can dream up that unconventionals are up and coming. It is currently the hottest topic in petroleum geology and many new ways of thinking are developed. Unconventions generally refer to gas extracted directly from the source rock and this requires quite some changes in the approach to tackle such developments. I would suggest you try to read up on this if you're interested and see if an aspect of it appeals to you.

search on "shale gas"

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Thank you
I will look into that.
I have also thought of ddoing research on the current pre-salt craze in Brazil.
Just not sure how much information would acually be available to me.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 am

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO