Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Active checkshot 

Post Active checkshot
My question is:

1) How to activate checkshot data for a particular well? or is the checkshot is activated on import checkshot file?

2) How do i know that the checkshot is activated for a particular well? what is the best QC for this

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Post Re: Active checkshot
In my experience that depends a lot on the software.

The checkshots are used to create a two-way-time / depth relationship.

In some seismic interpretation software you won't be able to overlay the well tops and wire-line logs on the seismic data until you have loaded the checkshot information, or have a two-way-time display against your logs in depth when you review them. It might not give an informative message - the well curves and formation tops might simply not appear, or the options to plot them may be unavailable.

I guess in some software its possible you have to create a time-depth conversion curve from the check-shots (and/or sonic log) as second stage - applying "drift corrections" and so on.

In a lot of software the time-depth conversion is never really "applied" or "activated" until you try and plot the well over the seismic, or with two-way-time (or the checkshot times) marked.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks for the information, can you tell me how it would be in Petrel software?
I mean how do I know the checkshot is activated in Petrel? is there any way to deactivate the data?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:09 am

Sorry - I've not really used Petrel so I can't help you. Most of my experience of this stuff was doing well seismic ties in Geoframe, as well as a few other tools.

There's a Petrel forum on here as well - try posting your question there.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:54 am

GuyM, such issue is mentioned much and clear on any Petrel guiding slice or event help file. Be able to know, you enter the setting of the well, click on Time tab>Overide global settings. there are several ways to deal with time depth information:
1. using well checkshot and or using sonic
2. share checkshot from neighbour (offset) well
3. share a time depth relationship TDR from offset well
once u select and click run, means that dataset will be actived, the soft will create a one-way time1 curve, you must manage this curve carefully, you might be confused in case of too many wells in your project. Hope it helps.

Cheers - Junior

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:25 am

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO