Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Help me with 3D seismic planing 

Post Help me with 3D seismic planing
Dear geophysicist!
Could you say me how I must plan reciever lines in 3d seismic? Along or across aim strucure?
Do you have ane books, articles about 3d planing?
Send me, please.
Thank you!!!

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Post Re: Help me with 3D seismic planing
U should locate at least one of your lines (RL or SL) across a structure. For geophysical aspects It does not mater what kind of line u locate along but it's important for economics of the project because number of SP depends on it.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:48 pm

mobasi,
Thanks, are u familiar with GMG mesa software?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm not a guru but I use this software for last 6 or 7 years from version 5. If u have any questions, drop me a line. I try to answer as soon as it's possible with my pleasure. I'm also been developing some software for the moving of templates automatically....

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Jaury, thanks!

Mobasi, but why do you have to put the receiver lines across the targeted structure.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:15 pm

This is mainly because you want to de-risk a certain lead you have.... If you already have 2D over the area and want more detail you will need 3D to see three-way closure. Because, with 3D we can take a slice for any direction along reciever line, across it or any other angle. Also we are gathering data by CMP bins and one bin includes many azimuths and many offsets.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Is it possible in 3D seismic survey to put the shot lines adjacent to receiver lines? if possible how will you implement this when you're making the template in Mesa?

thank you in advance..

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 pm

I don’t really understand your question, but here's me view:
I suppose you asked me why we use a same bearing for receiver and source lines. Well, why Not!! The most popular seismic design in world is orthogonal design where source lines are allocated across receiver lines. But there are many another variants like a bricks, zigzag, buttons etc. It
It means that you can lay lines with easiest logistics and logic for acquisition. But don’t forget about your geological targets.

Best regards

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:04 am

Ok, thank you!

Is there any way in omega to import the survey data and update .and the import the observer log (real time data) and compare it with the survey data in Mesa?

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 am

Yes, I think that is possible!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:39 am