[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4922: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4924: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4925: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4926: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4011)
Fault Seal Analysis : Structural Geology - Exploration & Production Geology

Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Fault Seal Analysis 

Post Fault Seal Analysis
Greeting All

I am so frustrated. I am doing my MSc but with dissertation. I would like to do Fault Seal Analysis.
So far I have done literature review but I dont have an outlined workflow of how to approach this. I have tried researching but what I have observed is that the articles only outline the methodology for a specific place.

I would like to do a fault analysis I have just about all the data. Please can anyone please just outline a workflow for me so that I would know how to move forward

Thank you
Khanyo

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 am

Post Re: Fault Seal Analysis
Interesting topic!

I think you would need a software package for that. I know Petrel can do Shale Gauge Ratio if that is what you're after. With that you can figure out the Fault transmissibility and it's potential to withstand bouyancy forced from the oil or gas.

I believe SGR is a measure of the Shale fraction (in thickness, so a N/G can also work) devided by the displacement at each point on the fault. The displacement and Vshale values vary everywhere along the fault, so to calculate it yourself will require some advanced computing skills or you will need to program some software. Try to get your hands on Petrel (and the RDR Structural analysis module). Also worth looking into Alan diagrams as they help you to asses displacement and juxtaposition too.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Khanyo

Great to hear that you are interested in learning about fault seal analysis. Our company has been developing algorithms, software and workflows for doing fault seal analysis in exploration and development.

The workflows we have developed have been used in a large number of basins around the world. We
would be more than happy to provide you a copy of our software FaultRisk and ideas on the workflows to help you do your MSc. Drop me a line and I can set you up with a login on our site http://www.faultseal.com there you can get a copy of FaultRisk.

Broadly we check the structural integrity of the fault using a displacement profile tool in FaultRisk to help define wether it is geologically valid. If the fault model is geologically impossible then the fault seal calculation will be wrong.

Next FaultRIsk uses a Monte Carlo simulation to model the Alan Maps of fault surfaces and associated uncertainty of juxtaposition and SGR. In exploration and in some elements of development we use the software to calculate constraints on fault block fluid contacts.

If you have a set of known fluid contacts in a neighbouring field on fault block these can be used to calibrate the software. If you are in a true frontier area a range of published algorithms have been published.

During your MSc it would be very good to look at doing a calibration exercise as it would stretch the bounds of science.

As well as working on the trapped volume you could also look to use FaultRisk to calculate transmissibility for use in reservoir simulations, this though could be a larger project.

Best wishes Titus

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:12 am

Sorry, that I continue a very old topic but I have almost the same situation. I've read a lot o liturature about SGR calculating and tried to realize it in Petrel. Nevertheless, results were not very nice:) could anybody help with workflow or any free software (if there are such)?
Will appreciate that.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:32 am

Apart from the software mentioned above Petrel has an internal fault seal analysis module. but it's licensed seperately. so you'll have te request or pay for it. You could also ask RDR for their plug ins... They are very good for structural analysis.

if that's al not possible you wil need to write workflows in petrel to calculate fault displacemnet on cells around faults. the n/g or vshale property can then be used to calculate SGR.

hope this helps!

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you, Petrel_user

I think, your advise aboutn displacement and N/G will be helpfull, because other points are not possible now) Thanks again)

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:01 am

Hi Okrepky

There are a number of reasons for calculating SGR.
Broadly
-Exploration you are working out where the fluid contacts are.
-Development working out how much flow there is across the fault.

Our experience of exploration workflows shows that it is vitally important to analyse the structure is more important than any SGR analysis.

Let me know if you would like a copy of our software for your Studies

Best wishes

Titus

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:46 am

Hello, Titus!

Oh, thank you, I would really like to get this copy for my studies:)

P.S. I wrote the same message to your e-mail, so you could see my.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:34 am

Please am interested in the faultrisk software, and what method is best to adopt when trying to use details from the fault seal analysis for hydrocarbon column height prediction?

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am

If there are any students keen on learning more about fault seal please feel free to get in contact with me. We can grant a copy of FaultRisk to you and help guide you through the process. Please feel free to get in contact with me through this site. Best wishes

TItus

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 am