Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Halite displaying sedimentary structures like x-bedding 

Post Halite displaying sedimentary structures like x-bedding
Hey everyone,

Just joined, so 'Hi' first off all.
Then, a friend of mine suggested that Halite deposits often show wave ripples and other structures like x-bedding and flow ripples. I challenged this, as I believe Halite forms when there is enough evaporation to cause the salinity to increase enough so stagnation of the water will allow precipitation. Wave ripples x-bedding and flow ripples form in high energy depositional environment and I believe the water will hardly ever be stagnant here and salt will simply be re-dissolved due to the flowing water. The halite crystals might form, but will never be able to become big enough that they can not be dissolved anymore. He thinks this does not matter as long as the evaporation rate remains high, or something...

Who's right here?

thanks!

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO