Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Gamma ray log only has values of 30. How to normalize? 

Post Gamma ray log only has values of 30. How to normalize?
Experts,

In one of my projects I have an old (russian) gamma ray log. It shows the lithologies (sand vs shale) as expected, but only has values up to 30. I need to create a vshale map and want to be able to compare this log with other 'normal' GR logs in the area. How can I best do this? Is normalizing using min and max readings a valid approach or do you recommend something else?

Thanks!!

Kiandra

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Post Re: Gamma ray log only has values of 30. How to normalize?
Russian Gamma Ray logs are usually recorded in uR/h (micro-Roentgens per hour) rather than the familiar Western API units. They may also be recorded in counts per minute. According to the book "Russian Style Formation Evaluation" edited by Bob Harrison (published by the London Petrophysical Society), the approximate conversion between uR/h to API units is as follows:

1 uR/h ~ 10 to 15 API units, depending on the type of detector used (Geiger counter or scintillation detector).

Therefore, you will need to know the exact tool type used to make the conversion.
Interpretation of Russian style logs is never straightforward, as you need to know a lot of tool, recording and calibration parameters.
However, if what you want is to make a comparison of the Russian GR log profile with other types of Western GR logs, you can use an approximate conversion unit.
Furthermore, if you are going to compute shale volume from the Russian GR log, you don't even need to convert to API units. You can just use the recorded log and choose the appropriate GR Max and GR Min values to compute the shale volume.
One of the pitfalls of using the GR log to determine a field wide cutoff for reservoir (sand) and non-reservoir (shale) is that most of the time an oil or gas field can have different GR logs recorded by different contractors using different tools at different times in the field. Therefore, you will not have a consistent GR profile with corresponding min and max values for your purpose.
The usual way to get around this problem is to normalize the GR logs, after making all the necessary borehole and environmental corrections on the respective GR logs.
This needs a lot of input data, such as bit size, hole size (from caliper logs), mud weight, mud type (KCl mud), etc which may not readily available.
That is the reason some petrophysicists do not recommend normalization of GR logs.
They recommend to compute shale volume for each GR log using its appropriate GR Min and GR Max values. In a way, this is also a normalization process, which normalizes the GR log into a dimensionless curve, ranging between 0 and 1.
Then a single cutoff the field can be easily determined.
However, even in this case, it will be necessary to at least do the hole size and mud weight corrections, because the GR counts in a washed out shale section can be suppressed by the mud volume around the tool that it can be mistaken as a sand or sandy interval.

Regards,

Ko Ko Kyi

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:43 am

Ko Ko Kyi,

Thank you so much for you response!!! This is great information and helps me a lot.
I have identified some strong shales and used their GR value to normalize.

May I ask how you know all this? Have you worked with these kind of logs a lot?

regards,

Kiandra

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Kiandra,

Yes, I have had my share of headaches interpretating Russian type logs in our assets in Uzbekistan and elsewhere. The Gamma Ray is one of the easier Russian type logs to use. You will have more issues with resistivity and neutron logs.

Regards,

Ko Ko Kyi

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:51 am