Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Core Porosity vs Log Porosity 

Post Core Porosity vs Log Porosity
Dear Friend,

I am working in petrophysic project now,
I was calculating porosity from log, and i try to confirm it using core porosity.

I wonder, what Porosity type is Core Derived posrosity (effective or Total)?

Thank you

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Post Re: Core Porosity vs Log Porosity
To determine the type of core porosity, you need to know how the core plugs are dried.
If they are humidity dried, the measured core porosity will be close to log derived effective porosity.
If the core plugs are oven dried, the measured core porosity will be close to log derived total porosity, especially the porosity computed from the bulk density log.

Wed May 01, 2013 1:42 pm