Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Clay Volume from Den- Neutron crossplot 

Post Clay Volume from Den- Neutron crossplot
Hi -
I am using the Den-Neu crossplot to determine clay volume in Ip. I don't have accurate values for matrix density but i know the porosity is in limestone units. I also know the formation is mainly silt. with limestone and dolomite.
Where do i put my clean line?should it be on the Sst clean line or Lst?
I would really appreciate any help (materials) to help me understand how to adjust this crossplot.

thanks

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Post Re: Clay Volume from Den- Neutron crossplot
Generally, a carbonate reservoir would be clean, with no or very little clays. A good clay indicator for carbonates (limestone and dolomite) is the CGR (corrected GR) log from a Spectral GR log. With the uranium component removed, a CGR log tends to respond to the presence of clays better than the standard GR log. Using the density and neutron logs or N-D crossplot to determine clay volume in a limestone reservoir with dolomite inside will be tricky. The presence of dolomite makes the limestone reservoir appear shaly due to the higher density of the dolomite. Therefore, it will not be straightforward to decide where to put the clean matrix line on the N-D crossplot, if the exact matrix density is not known. On one hand, if the limestone matrix line is used, the dolomitic intervals will appear as shaly zones. On the other hand, if the dolomite matrix line is used, the clean pure limestone intervals will appear as gas bearing points. Furthermore, in clean carbonates, it will be difficult to identify the 100% clay point. You will probably have to take it from the overlying shale bed, if there is one. A suitable approach will be to identify the cleanest carbonate (non-gas bearing) intervals on the GR log. Use these intervals on the N-D crossplot as a baseline for the clean matrix line. It should fall between the limestone and dolomite matrix lines, parallel to the limestone line

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 am