Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Breaking into the business 

Post Breaking into the business
Hi Everyone!

I'm a new member. I understand that there is a topic similar to this - "How to become a petrophysicist" - that was active a few months ago. Apologies for asking a similar type of question here.

My background is in theoretical atomic and molecular physics - I have a PhD. Anyway, unlike the previous poster, I have absolutely no prior experience in the oil and gas industry, and I'm trying to break in - my work history since graduate school has been entirely within academia. Another "problem" that I seem to have is that I am no longer a recent graduate, having been out of graduate school for 8 years.

However, I am extremely keen to get into petrophysics in Canada. I realize that due to my background and lack of experience the best I can hope for is some sort of trainee position. I don't mind this at all - I fully expect to have to do a lot of study, etc. in order to succeed. I'm more than happy to work hard. I do understand that there are numerous intro courses offered, but I can't afford to pay for such programs myself.

What I really need is some good advice from experienced guys within the industry - is it likely that someone with my background can make it. Are people with my type of background getting hired? Am I wasting my time? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:40 am

Post Re: Breaking into the business
With your background I think you have a good chance with one of the logging companies in their R&D departments. Theoretical atomic and molecular physics is important science they use in many of the tools that are lowered down a hole. They will train you further...

If you are willing to relocate and work on the wellsite for some while (very good experience and very interesting/challenging job) then I think you are very welcome (with a PHD!!!) in any logging company!

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO