Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Any jobs for a well qualified graduate? 

Post Any jobs for a well qualified graduate?
Hello,
I need some advice please.
I have a first class honours degree in Geology, having won an award for my dissertation and I also have just finished an MSc, for which I have gained an excellent result again and my dissertation project also turned heads.
I am just finding it impossible to find any kind of Geology based work, despite having done an internship with a well reputed company, from which I have an excellent reference.
I am willing to work anywhere in the world, although I am UK based, I don't have ideas above my station and am willing to do any kind of work in the Geological field to start my career.
What am I doing wrong or what could help me stand out? Where can I find entry level jobs? There seems to be only a handful of graduate schemes out of which I was shortlisted for a couple, however 20+ shortlisted candidates for 1 vacancy is short odds and I haven't gained a position.
I am willing to work hard, I am eager, I have work experience so am not just another graduate with no concept of work and I cannot imagine myself in any other area of work.
Does anyone have any tips for me or can recommend any companies to approach? I am fast approaching desperation point, having taken a loan out for my MSc fees I am having to apply for shop work etc. just to be able to make the repayments. I know that once I have worked in another job for a few months that my chances of gaining geological based work will go down and this is a depressing thought.
Any ideas at all, or better still any MD's willing to give me an interview? :lol:

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:41 pm