Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Surface Attributes from 2D seismic 

Post Surface Attributes from 2D seismic
Hi all,

I am trying to image some regional bright reflectors. I have interpreted the surfaces on 2D lines using the 2D seeded auto tracker and expanded the interpretation by hand where the autotracker failes. I've created a surface out of the interpretation and I would now like to extract the seismic amplitudes along that surface. I know how to do this in a 3D cube but doing it with a 2D seismic vintage returns an error for me.

I go into surface attributes and then link a random 2D line into the 'Input Seismic' field and opt to use all lines from the same vintage. After hitting 'ok' Petrel tells me that it does not except this sort of seismic data for attribute extraction. Is it even possible to use 2D lines for extracting surface attribute or is their a workaround? I realise a large part of the surfaces grid cells will not have data, but having the seismic amplitude applied to the particular surface grid cell the seismic line runs trough would already help image some trends I expect to find.

Thanks in advance!

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 pm

Post Re: Surface Attributes from 2D seismic
I beleive your problem is, your using a surface. Surfaces only can be used in 3D cubes, while interpretation horizons can be used for attribute extraction on 2D lines. (the naming of the process and error message in P2009 is a little misleading).

So run the surface attribute extraction using the interpreted horizon (from your interpretatin folder in your seismics folder). Make sure you select the vintage you did the interpetation on and is the same as the seismic vintage you are extracting from. No run it and it adds an attribute to the specific interpretation horizons vintage.

Make a surface using this vintage (should have high peaks and look like a dissaster, but don';t worry). Now use the calculator to appoint this data set to a new attribute on the origianl surface created from the interpreted horizon (the one containing TWT)..

that's all... Hope this is clear, don;t hesitate to ask more details.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:08 am

Thanks! That was exactly the answer I was looking for!
It works great now and can actually see the features (sand bars) I was hoping to see!

you're a genius!

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm now trying to do this in Petrel 2012.2 with 2D seismic. I find that under my interpreted horizon it creates a seperate attribute for each 2D line, each of which I've renamed to include the name of that line.

You say that I can then create a surface using this attribute, but I can only seem to create the surface for one 2D line at a time. Can I do it for all, as you suggest?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 pm

such an interesting topic, following that i have a question would like to raise up to ask for your advices. how to make a 3D cube from 2D seismic lines without using plugin on Petrel. thanks in advance!!

Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 am