Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

adding seismic amplitudes to a well log 

Post adding seismic amplitudes to a well log
Dear Petrel experts!

I'm trying to extract seismic data (initially amplitude) along a well bore and treat it as a log. I know I can use the 'create well log' function (believe it's under seismic dialog) but this will not give me the actual amplitudes at depth (or time). I basically want to make calculations and cross-plots and relate my seismic signal to my petrophysical well logs. Doing this with different attributes/frequency bands will hopefully give me a way of defining seismic facies and relate them to actual rock properties.

Any ideas on how I can get about this?

thanks heaps!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Post Re: adding seismic amplitudes to a well log
You might want to try and resample the seismic data into a gridded model and extract the gridcel attribute along the well bore. I think I have done it something like this a long time ago. Basically wanted to do the same thing... get some grip on seismic facies. Didn't work though and had to give up eventually. Good luck and would love to know your results.

If you can't figure it out, I can look it up for you. So... let me know!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:54 pm

I think there is a easier way (without gridding). Use the well log calculator to create a log from the seismic cube directly. Use the following formula:

If the cube is in depth already:
seismicLog=seismicCube_in_Depth(X,Y,Z)

(*seismicCube_in_Depth is the name of the seismic cube converted to the depth domain)

If the cube is in stil in time:
seismicLog=seismicCube_in_Time(X,Y,-2*TDLog)

(*seismicCube_in_Time is the name of the seismic cube; in TWT & TDlog is your Time to Depth relation)

To check your results it good practice to extract the seismic as you mentioned and see if all went correctly and remember to apply the same template as the seismic cube to the log. Now you can make cross plots with your data.

Good luck!

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 am

Mr. Karlstadt,

thanks for this. I'll certainly give it a try. Can't wait to have my license available to me monday!

I'll let you know how it went.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:11 am