Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Adding additional data 

Post Adding additional data
Hi all,

I would like to add additional core data next to my well logs. Basically, I have my well logs imported as LAS files; however, I would like to add TOC data just next to them. I have a chart showing the depths and corresponding TOC data. Could you please help me to solve this?
Thank you

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:57 pm

Post Re: Adding additional data
You could try and load the values as "Point Well Data". This is basically a tab delimited ASCII file with a depth (MD) collumn and a number of collumns with values.

If you need to load text you could do this too via this router or you could load a comment log. Look at the format preview when selecting the file type in petrel to understand the syntax of the file you need to create.

You can display both data objects in a well section window

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:57 am

Excellent!

I am almost there... One last question; I imported the point well data, but I am not sure under which value I should put my TOC data. When I add them as 'residuals', I can see the points just where I wanted, but the header of the well is of course 'residuals' and it has its own scale. Is there a way to create your own log and assign max. and min numbers?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 pm

You can change the template of the dataset your displayign to any other template. i don't think Petrel has a TOC template build in but you could make a new template in the templates tab, just copy and paste one and change the units and color table.

To display the points along a wel in a welsection window hit 'T' on your keyboard or open up the wellsection template. Here you can select the data your displaying and set the limits in the 'Limits' tab.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi again,

I couldn't change the title of the log, but I can do it manually on photoshop.
Thank you very much for all your help, its greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:47 pm