Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Seismic Interpretation Career Query 

Post Seismic Interpretation Career Query
Hi,

I recently graduated from a 4 year integrated masters degree programme in Geophysical Sciences (MGeophys, BSc). In the long term I want my career to be in seismic interpretation, preferably in an oil & gas company rather than a service company. I understand that a few years experience in processing would be very beneficial and necessary in most cases. I have heard that obtaining an MSc would be important if I were to go into an oil company but not so much for service companies, is this the case or would it not matter after gaining a few years of processing experience? and if so, which MSc would be most suitable for a career in interpretation, i.e. MSc Petroleum Geophysics or MSc Structural Geology with Geophysics? Would there be any benefits of taking either of the MSc's mentioned over the other, for instance, would the petroleum geophysics degree push me more toward a career in processing whilst the structural geology with geophysics push more toward interpretation? Or would it not matter after a few years processing experience followed by a move into interpretation?

Thanks for your help!

Joe

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 pm