Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

type of rock 

Post type of rock
attached is a photo of an igneous rock..just want to double check if it is an ANDESITE..thanks

Attachments:
rock.JPG
rock.JPG [ 143.5 KiB | Viewed 1353 times ]
Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:33 am

Post Re: type of rock
another photo of the rock formation where the sample was taken

Attachments:
rock formation.JPG
rock formation.JPG [ 215.3 KiB | Viewed 1352 times ]
Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 am

Difficult to say from these pictures and I'm not an expert. In your second photo I do see some beds/layering and although this points towards sedimentary rocks, it may also be caused through some sort of contact metamorphism. Both wouldn't result in andesite (an extrusive igneous rock) being formed. The first image does look like andesite, or at least an igneous rock, and I therefore find it difficult to identify this rock due to discrepancy between the interpretation of the formation and the sample.

Sorry, can't really help here...

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

thanks jacobNestor

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:44 am

No problem!

Are you affiliated with a oil and gas company btw?

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 am

jacob nestor,
hydropower..we are planning a tunnel line...do you have an experience with seismic..

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:40 am

Avargas,

Sounds interesting! Are you primarily concerned with structural hazard (faults, tectonics) or also with rock properties and fluid mechanics?
I have quite some experience with seismic and have been a petroleum geologist for several years. Never had to work in mountainous regions though; also I was never involved with geotechnical engineering work. Are you using seismic to test the feasibility of your project?

Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:25 am

JacobNestor,

Our study right now is assessing if the project is feasible based on desktop survey..the tunnel support i am calculating is based on the geology and of course if a possible fault will pass through a tunnel line based on a topographic map..can you help me determine the possible probable trace of fault lines on this map..thanks

Attachments:
map.jpg
map.jpg [ 240.99 KiB | Viewed 1336 times ]
Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 am

Well Avargas.....

it's difficult to tell faults from a topographic map and ideally you should do a survey with a geologist. I can not pick out any fault traces from this map, but a quick way to assess these thing from my home is to delve into google Earth. I looked up the location in the Philippines and overlayed the google map satellite imagery attachment 1.

What you might need to consider when zooming out and overlaying the earthquakes that have been recorded over the last couple of years is that you might be above an active fault zone. See attachment 2 and the green line.

Most earthquakes in the area follow a mayor trend and have a strength of around 5. The originated between 15 and 30 km deep and are probably related with some sort of deep rooted fault zone or subduction zone. For now this would be the only thing I can allert you on and you might already know this. Again, this is not my expertise, but I just want to help as I enjoy geology and tackling these problems.

Hope this helped your survey!

Attachments:
File comment: map showing earthquake line active at depth of 15 to 30 km
earthquake_line_philipines.jpg
earthquake_line_philipines.jpg [ 174.66 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]
File comment: google map overlay over topography
google-maps-overlay.jpg
google-maps-overlay.jpg [ 404.44 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]
Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:26 am

jacobNestor

Thanks a lot...