Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

What happens when we run out of oil? 

Post What happens when we run out of oil?
will the world go to war?
do we really need oil to survive?
I was born 1992. I wouldn't remember any 1995 oil incident.
Any thoughts are welcome!

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Post Re: What happens when we run out of oil?
We would have to start using alternative energy and develop some sort of battery or fuel cell, like hydrogen, geothermal, wind, wave, more nuclear, fusion, etc..

War? Isn't that already going on... Iraq, Afghanistan (pipelines). I doubt it will get worse but maybe a little among unprepared countries. Nothing major among modern countries though, I expect.

...and that won't happen for a long time, people forget that Russia has an oil field larger than the arabian oil fields, they just got to get their but in gear and start drilling.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Running out of producible oil is not an issue, as it is a very long term process that you will notice well in advance by price increases. National longtime shortages due to economic embargoes and wartime restrictions on private fuel consumption have happened before: During WW II, supplies to Germany were so short that substitution of oil as fuel and as a petrochemical resource kicked-in. Cars, for example, were refitted with wood burners.

Short-term severe disruptions can cause a lot of havoc, and these happened on multiple occasions such as:
- the closure of the Suez canal in the 1950s
- the oil embargo in 1973
- national strikes in refineries or amongst tanker drivers (e.g. UK, early 2000s)

These were further enhanced by panic purchases. As a minimum you would expect traffic jams. But in some of these cases private traffic was banned, sometimes for weeks.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Hello....Carolina

I'm honored to discuss my ideas on this post.

I don't think that we can survive without oil because we have been addicted to it for long time, allowing go now would be unfortunate. While some might discover it undesirable, there is a still wide provide of untapped oil & we should consider going after it with all possible hurry.

Wed May 02, 2012 6:39 am

I can't remember it,and I can't image what will happen when we run out of oil.

Sat May 05, 2012 5:43 am

A very fine question it is...
Oil has been the backbone of human progress since the 20th century but I guess it will all change not now but latest by another 30 odd years give/take 10 years.
And that is assuming progress continues at this rapid pace or increases in intensity.
I don't see a decrease on the horizon. And by progress I do not mean economic because that happens in chosen sectors. And renewable energy is not a sector that is economically favorable right now.
So yes, there will a li'l decline as human society transits from oil to renewable sources and then again there will be progress; not as intense as with oil, but, slow and steady.
And wars will happen as conflicts of interest have been the triggers as always.
But it won't be like before, because human civilization has evolved calmer individuals.
Shocking but true.
Let's hope we get to see a cleaner tomorrow which has some green in it.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 am