Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

How happy are you? 

Post How happy are you?
Hey guys,
IM interested in a career switch to geology,
I'm a 23 year old Airline Rated pilot and I'm ready to get out,
I enjoy flying but hate aviation, the low pay, always being away. I've got an opportunity to o to the middle east right now and fly corperate but once that contract ends I feel I will be too old to go back to school and thus too old to change up my career path.
Ive worked out a deal to fly crop dusters in the summer and go t school in the winter which will more than pay for my costs of school and living.
I'm taking high school chem so I can start my BSc.
Ive worked in the arctic and meet geologists who generally seem pretty happy, do you need a masters to get good work?
Do you still enjoy your job?
Is there anyone in the central Canada area that would meet me for coffee and tell me about thier career?

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Post Re: How happy are you?
Hello Bill,

I am 65, BS in geology, MS in physics. Been doing geology since 1973 and loved every minute of it. Started in hard rock (mineral) geology, went back to school and finished MS, started again in petroleum geophysics, then petroleum geology, got laid off in 1982 and started teaching at community colleges until 2006 when I took early retirement to start mud logging. Did that for 4 years and now have my own 1 man company. Some people will disparage mud logging but I figure I work for clients I like and I am getting paid to look at rocks. What a deal. Problems with a career in geology: may be away from home a lot, will be up all hours of the night answering the phone from mud loggers and directional drillers, long hours and great money if you can get paid but that isn't always possible - even in these good times if you want to stay in one place. And when the times turn bad be ready to wash dishes, wait tables, pump gas. Geology seems to be an emotional career, you either love it or hate it. Never met anyone in the middle. Would recommend an MS and then start mud logging and then move into an office after you know how things really work as opposed to the textbook over simplified examples.
Advice: as soon as you get in school start joining local and regional professional associations and go to their meetings, esp their field conferences etc. MEET PEOPLE! GET KNOWN!. & You are never too old to go back to school, forget that idea. Good luck and welcome to the gang if you decide to change careers.
Darryl

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:40 am

Search for:
Jump to:  

Content on EPGeology.com is intended for personal use only and to supplement, not replace, professional judgment. EPGeology.com disclaims any and all liability for your use of its content. As most of our content is supplied by our users we can not check copyright, and stress that copyright remains at the original owner. If you suspect copyright infringement please use the contact form to report it.
Contact || © EPGeology.com. || Powered by phpBB Asteroid Mining

phpBB SEO