Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Career options 

Post Career options
Hi guys,

Need advice here. I'm a third year Petroleum Engineering student, will be graduating soon. I still haven't decide what to do once I graduated. I love geology, drilling and also completion.
My lecturers suggested that I try Petrophysicist or M/LWD Engineer. I want to do something related to geology, if possible and I really want to work offshore cos I don't like working at the office.

Really need your advice here. Thanks!
:)

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:04 am
YIM

Post Re: Career options
After reading your question, I presumed you are very confused.
1) Your preference should be to join Oil operator company such as Shell, BP, Chevron etc. , but not Service company such as Schulumberger, Halliburton, Baker hughes etc..

2) As you have Petroleum engineering degree, you have option to join Operator company in various roles- Petrophysicist, Completion engineer, reservoir engineer, wellsite geologist, drilling engineer etc. But what you get, depends on company requirement. Do not be very specific at this stage. See what option you have and what job offers you have at the end of your degree.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Actually, I did my internship with Halliburton couple of months ago, under drilling. I have to say that I love what I'm doing during my internship. I like drilling but on the same time, I also love geology, so so much.

You're right about don't be too specific but I'm just worried if I end up doing something that I don't like.
Anyways, Operator companies also hire fresh grads? =/

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 pm
YIM

What you are doing in your internship is not bad. If you work in service company, you might earn good money, and if you are directional driller/MWD/wireline Logging then you can earn really good money, depending on luck factor. But my point is that you will not be using your technical education, forget about geology. You will be clicking some buttons and checking tools. To work in service company, you just need degree( Mechanical, Chemical...). Service company will give you extensive training on its machinery/tools.
Yes, Operator companies hire fresh graduates. Operator companies should be coming to your campus for recruitment. Keep checking available jobs on Oilcareers and rigzone.com websites.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Okay now I understand..
Thank you so much for your advice! :D

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:53 pm
YIM