Welcome to Petroleum Geology Forums

This is a free online community that aims to bring petroleum professionals and geologists together and share valuable knowledge. Registration is easy so become a member now for instant free access.
  • Petroleum Geologists can stay up to date with industry related topics and exchange ideas and concepts.
  • Upstream Oil and Gas Consultants get a chance to share their expertise and gain exposure to land future projects.
  • Geology students and graduates can join the discussion and get into contact with potential future employees.

>> Register Now

Advice on getting foot in the door Mud Logging? 

Post Advice on getting foot in the door Mud Logging?
Hi all,

I'm a new poster looking for any advice you might happen to have in regards to getting ones foot in the door in Mud logging. Im an Earth Science graduate in Britain and have sent out my CV to all the positions advertised on all the websites I could find. The trouble is, most of the positions are in the US and for them you need sponsorship and a visa. Aberdeen is the British hub for oil but I can't find many 'mud logging' positions advertised there at all. And I haven't heard any response from the few I did find. Is there something else I can do? If any of you guys would happen to have any advice on hand it would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks a lot for reading my post,

Tom

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Post Re: Advice on getting foot in the door Mud Logging?
GeoGrad,

The North Sea is winding down and it's not a supprise that it's tough to get a job as a mud logger.

There are still some (smaller) companies that are going for near field exploration or redevelop old fields.

For instance Vermillion and Tulip Oil are running operations from the netherlands. you can always try Schlumberger, Weatherford, Backer Hughes and Halliburton to get an international posting as a mudlogger.

Good luck and let us know how you got on!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Post Re: Advice on getting foot in the door Mud Logging?
Hi Harold,

Thanks for the reply! I checked out Tulip and Vermillion's website career sections. Unfortunately it didn't seem like they had anything below senior roles available. I will definitely try the bigger multinational companies again as that can't hurt. I'll post back here if I do find something and keep you updated.

Thanks again Harold and happy new year!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:17 pm